Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

Mr. Tellers Announced as PTSA Teacher of the Year

“What I appreciate most about Mr. Tellers is his dedication to making history exciting. He has so much enthusiasm in his lectures. He cares deeply about his subject and every single student. Sometimes he’ll ask me, “Sarah, did you learn anything today?” and my answer is always yes.” said Junior Sarah Lehman.

Mr. Jeremiah “Jerry” Tellers, originally from the Bay Area, has been teaching at La Jolla High School since 2005. In his 22 years of teaching, he has only taught history and linked his interest in the subject to a “really good U.S. history teacher in high school.” Nominated by LJHS students and parents, Mr. Tellers was honored for his contagious passion for history and genuine care for his students. He had previously won the Teacher of the Year award in 2019.

Mr. Tellers is one of the best teachers I’ve ever had. He is always so enthusiastic about the curriculum, and it’s impossible not to enjoy learning from his lectures!

— Inji Hamdoun, junior

Junior Inji Hamdoun said, “Mr. Tellers is one of the best teachers I’ve ever had. He is always so enthusiastic about the curriculum, and it’s impossible not to enjoy learning from his lectures!”

PTSA also recognized head counselor Mr. Clinton McVay. A friendly face on campus, he is “always there for students” and is “always game to answer random questions from both parents and students… he always has the answer.” Mr. McVay received the 2024 Staff Member of the Year award.

Mr. Tellers (center left) being awarded the Teacher of the Year award by current and former students in 2019. Image via LJHS Facebook.