Official Publication of La Jolla High School Since 1924

Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

Aid Workers Killed in Airstrike

An Israeli airstrike killed seven foreign aid workers from the non-profit World Central Kitchen (WCK), including citizens of Britain, Poland, Australia, and a dual US-Canadian citizen. The individuals were delivering vital food aid to civilians in Gaza.

Palestinian-led teams have recently resumed work in Gaza and served over one million meals in the past week. Image via WCK.

In a statement, the group said, “Despite coordinating movements with the IDF (Israel Defense Forces), the convoy was hit as it was leaving the Deir Al-Balah warehouse, where the team had unloaded more than 100 tons of humanitarian food aid brought to Gaza on the maritime route.” WCK announced a temporary suspension of its operations in Gaza and is assessing the future of its efforts in the region, as reported by CNN.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu acknowledged the unintentional targeting of the aid workers in a social media video, expressing remorse for the incident. He assured ongoing investigations and vowed measures to prevent such tragedies in the future while maintaining communication with affected governments.

Based in Washington, the World Central Kitchen remains a beacon of hope, providing vital food to disaster-stricken areas. In Gaza, where 2.2 million people face food insecurity, WCK’s presence is indispensable, offering meals amidst chaos.

WCK held an interfaith Celebration of Life honoring Saifeddin Issam Ayad Abutaha of Palestine, John Chapman of Britain, Jacob Flickinger of the U.S. and Canada, Lalzawmi “Zomi” Frankcom of Australia, James Henderson of Britain, James Kirby of Britain, and Damian Soból of Poland. Image via WCK.