Official Publication of La Jolla High School Since 1924

Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

Sweden Joins NATO

Last year, NATO, also known as the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, added Finland to the group following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. Following a vote in Budapest on Monday morning, all NATO allies agreed Sweden was also joining the organization. Previously, Sweden and Finland held long-standing policies of military non-alignment and were hesitant to join the organization. However, their views have since shifted due to their proximity to Russia’s war in Ukraine, and both wanted to be part of the alliance for their safety. The process of joining took a very long time, as countries such as Turkey and Hungary were notable in holding out on their vote and delaying ratifying Stockholm’s ascension.

Discussing the prolonged decision to have Sweden join NATO, junior Rose Felicio-Weber said, “The rule NATO has where every country has to agree to let a country join may have limited Sweden from joining. This rule may also be giving each country too much power.” According to Chatham House, Sweden’s military forces and geographical location will strengthen NATO and help defend eastern European countries. 

Like Finland, Sweden shares our values and principles, and they share our unwavering commitment to international security in the face of Russia’s threats and their barbaric war in Ukraine. Sweden and Finland’s membership will make NATO stronger and the whole Euro-Atlantic more secure.

— UK Prime Minister, Rishi Sunak

UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak welcomed the news and said, “Like Finland, Sweden shares our values and principles, and they share our unwavering commitment to international security in the face of Russia’s threats and their barbaric war in Ukraine. Sweden and Finland’s membership will make NATO stronger and the whole Euro-Atlantic more secure.”

NATO was first formed after World War Two, replacing the League of Nations. The United States and countries like France, Canada, and the United Kingdom joined the Military Alliance. In the years following, it added more countries, like Albania and Estonia. Today, NATO consists of 31 countries worldwide.