Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

Review: Navigating the Dunes (Part Two)

Dune: Part Two, Denis Villeneuve’s adaptation of Frank Herbert’s novel, is a remarkable science fiction film full of stunning cinematography, outstanding performances, and a gripping plot that keeps viewers on the edge of their seats. This second installment picks up directly after the events of 2021 Dune: Part One and follows the political schemes of House Atreides and House Harkonnen on the fictional planet Arrakis. It stars several notable actors whose performances helped shape the movie, including Timothée Chalamet, Austin Butler, and Zendaya. Timothée Chalamet’s performance as main character Paul Atreides showcases his range and ability to capture the essence of a well-known character. He has multiple emotional and intense scenes that feel real and authentic and impact the viewer. Similarly, Austin Butler’s portrayal of Feyd-Rautha demonstrates his versatility and ability to transform into someone unrecognizable. Zendaya’s character Chani has notably more screen time than in Dune: Part One, and develops the characters personality and emotions through facial expressions alone.

Additionally, Dune: Part Two has stunning visuals and special effects. Much of it was filmed in Abu Dhabi and Jordan, featuring beautiful shots of the desert that portray Arrakis. The cinematography helps shape the world of Arrakis, making it feel rich and developed. From battle scenes to gigantic sandworms, the high-action scenes are fast-paced and skillfully directed to create suspense. The movie’s budget was $190 million, a smaller amount than several other recent movies with inferior special effects.

Dune Part Two official movie poster. Image via Wikimedia Commons.