Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

“A New Beginning or a Swift End”

The English monarchy has a long-standing tradition of covering up health problems within the royal family, from Queen Elizabeth’s cancer diagnosis to Princess Diana’s mental health problems, until now as King Charles III of the United Kingdom announces he has been diagnosed with an unknown cancer. Doctors discovered the cancer in late January of 2024,  despite not being prostate cancer, during the King’s treatment of an enlarged prostate. Buckingham Palace released a statement saying, “He remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible.” King Charles III has withdrawn from public duties but continues to attend private meetings and fill in paperwork as the head of state.

King Charles III in July of 2023. Image via Wikimedia Commons

King Charles III’s decision to share his diagnosis greatly differs from his predecessors, with even his own mother, the late Queen Elizabeth II, concealing her rare bone marrow cancer diagnosis secret from the public. His decision for this was explained in Buckingham Palace’s statement, announcing, “His Majesty has chosen to share his diagnosis to prevent speculation and in the hope it may assist public understanding for all those around the world who are affected by cancer.” This represents the King’s bold new plan for the Monarchy, making it more open and in touch with the people; it may, however, never come to fruition due to his recent diagnosis. 

The King began treatment on Monday, February 5th, and is hopeful for a swift recovery. Until more information is released, all the British public, Commonwealth, and the world can do is offer their love and support to the royal family during this difficult time.