Official Publication of La Jolla High School Since 1924

Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

Ariana says “Yes, And?”

Recently, globally famous pop singer Ariana Grande released a new single called “Yes, And?” which has resulted in massive controversy across social media platforms and resulted in the famous singer losing 350,000 followers. Since her last album, Grande has gone through a divorce with her ex-husband, Dalton Gomez, and began dating her former colleague, Ethan Slater, who is known for his role as Spongebob Squarepants on Broadway. However, some speculate that Grande and Slater weren’t completely honest with their relationship.

I just feel like her new personality isn’t a good look for her. And why does she have to steal other people’s mans? Honestly, she became unlikable because of this.

— Kaiden Fraire, freshman

To start, Grande and Slater had both very recently split up with their previous partners. Despite this, they continue to move very fast in their relationship. An insider told Us Weekly that the two moved in together, stating that “Ethan informed his friends and soon-to-be ex-wife that he’s living with Ariana full-time in New York.” It is notable to mention that in this quote the phrase “soon to be ex-wife” is used, which insinuates that Slater and his wife had yet to split. Many fans believe that Grande and Slater began their relationship with infidelity. But what seemed to be the big deal with the actual song? Grande appears to be responding to and addressing her very intriguing relationship with Slater throughout the lyrics, but what stood out most to fans, was how she did not seem to care that her relationship might have caused problems or how it was viewed by outsiders, “Now, I’m so done with caring / What you think, no, I won’t hide…/ Or change my most authentic life” (“Yes, And?”). Freshman Kaden Fraire expressed his views towards Grande’s new single, “I just feel like her new personality isn’t a good look for her. And why does she have to steal other people’s mans? Honestly, she became unlikable because of this.” Is Grande just making another example of how celebrities can rise or fall so easily?

Ariana Grande’s new single has generated controversy. Image via Ariana Grande.