Official Publication of La Jolla High School Since 1924

Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

The Boys Are Back In Town: Boygenius Releases EP “The Rest”

“Walkin’ alone in the city/Makes me feel like a man on the moon,” sings Phoebe Bridgers on new song ‘Voyager.’ 

Earlier this year, super-group and indie-rock trinity Boygenius (styled “boygenius”) released their long-awaited album The Record. Receiving critical acclaim and praise from Rolling Stone to NME, it peaked at number four on the Billboard 200. Boygenius kicked off their North American tour in June, headlining the inaugural RE: SET Concert Series and playing their first show in San Diego.

Consisting of close friends and popular indie musicians Julien Baker, Phoebe Bridgers, and Lucy Dacus, the trio has enjoyed exponential growth and popularity since the release of their self-titled EP in 2018. The name “Boygenius” is a nod to how women are treated differently in the music industry and is both “mocking” and “aspirational.” In a group interview with Vogue in 2018, Bridgers described it as “Men are taught to not be entitled to space and their ideas should be heard because they’re great ideas and women are taught the opposite… [boygenius] is someone who their whole life has been told that their ideas are genius.”

“The Rest” cover. Image via Boygenius.

On Friday the 13th, Boygenius released their new EP, “The Rest,” described as an expansion of their previous full-length debut. Contrary to what the title implies, the material is new and was produced in May. The EP contains four new tracks: ‘Black Hole,’ ‘Afraid of Heights,’ ‘Voyager,’ and ‘Powers.’

Boygenius is set to play a special Halloween show and the last of their tour at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles with headliners Sloppy Jane and 100 Gecs. Senior Stella Campion is set to attend the monumental concert and said, “Each Boygenius member is an incredibly talented musician and it will be incredible to see all three of them perform together live, especially with the fun Halloween atmosphere.”

This year, the super-group has played at Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour, landed an album on Billboard’s top ten, sold out Madison Square Garden, received second-line billing at Coachella, and The Record is currently garnering Grammy buzz for possible album of the year at the 2024 Grammy Awards. While nothing is certain, The Rest could be Boygenius’s last release as a unit for some time, and only time will tell what is next for the group.