Official Publication of La Jolla High School Since 1924

Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

Florida Strikes Again!

Florida Bans AP Psychology and Implements New Standardized Test

The state of Florida effectively banned AP Psychology and implemented a new standardized test early this August, part of a new push for Christian learning by Governor Ron Desantis, who hopes to remake the education system in the state from elementary to college levels. Part of this involves the further implementation of the “Classic Learning Test,” or the CLT. Until now, this test was mostly accepted by Christian private universities; the English portion of the test features texts with Christian leanings. Now, more universities are looking at scores as college application material, alongside the SAT and the ACT. However, Sid Erat, a junior, thinks that “it’s not going to make a resurgence in this political climate.” 

Free response section booklet of the AP Psychology Exam. Image via WikiCommons.

People following the news speculate that Florida’s ban of AP Psychology is due to the course’s content covering sexual orientation and gender identity. Alternate high-level courses, such as International Baccalaureate and Advanced International Certificate of Education, will still be taught at Florida public schools. Danielle Davis, a junior taking AP Psychology, comments, “A whole bunch of people don’t know what they want to do in life…[If] they want to explore it in high school, that’s really awesome, and it seems cruel to take away the opportunity.” 

The state of Florida is slowly implementing these rules into their education system, and the country will be able to see the effects of them—whether positive or detrimental.