We Need to Start Caring About Our Bathrooms

Via Kevin Chiu

Via Kevin Chiu

Currently, five of our commonly used restrooms at La Jolla High are locked. However, when “devious licks” were a trend, that number was closer to ten. More than half of the restrooms at LJHS were locked, forcing students to walk across campus to use the bathroom. Stealing, vandalism, and vaping are just a few things that happen in our school bathrooms on a daily basis and are likely the reason that the bathrooms are constantly being locked.

Junior Wade Stephens commented on how out of hand the bathroom situation has gotten. He said, “I almost pissed myself when I found the 500 bathrooms were locked and had to walk to the 300 buildings.” Some students have also decided it isn’t worth using the restrooms. When asked how the bathroom situation at LJHS inconveniences him, sophomore Nathan Tukuafu said, “I don’t go to the bathrooms here anymore because it’s pointless since most of them are locked up anyways.”

I don’t go to the bathrooms here anymore because it’s pointless since most of them are locked up anyways.

— Nathan Tukuafu, sophomore

Vaping is another big issue in the La Jolla High bathrooms as it has forced the school to start installing vape detectors. Frustrated by all of the scandals, campus security member Mr. Bueno said, “These kids are so immature, they need to go back to kindergarten.” It’s not just Mr. Bueno who carries these beliefs because many other staff members are frustrated with how out of hand the LJHS bathrooms have gotten.

The bathroom situation at our school has gotten far too out of hand. The sooner we realize how immature wrecking our bathrooms is, the sooner we will get them unlocked. In the words of Ms. Savoia, “It’s sad that students are disrespecting the place they spend most of the day at and has never been this bad. At this point, it’s embarrassing.