Official Publication of La Jolla High School Since 1924

Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

O.J. Dead at 76

O.J. Simpson, full name Orenthal James Simpson, died at 76 on April 10th, 2024. He died after a long bout with prostate cancer in his home in Las Vegas, Nevada. 

O.J. Simpson was born on July 9th, 1947, in San Francisco. He skyrocketed to success after playing running back for the Buffalo Bills in the NFL for 11 seasons. After his football career ended, O.J. Simpson, nicknamed “The Juice,” acted in many TV shows and movies, including Roots and The Naked Gun.

His acclaim came to a head on June 12th, 1994, when O.J. Simpson’s ex-wife Nicole Brown and her friend Ron Goldman were found stabbed to death in Los Angeles. O.J. Simpson was targeted as the main suspect. After failing to turn himself into authorities, he was the subject of a low-speed police pursuit on June 17th. He was arrested the same day. Through a lengthy court proceeding, he was found not guilty. However, the decision was met with extreme controversy. Many believed that he had murdered Nicole Brown and Ron Goldman, especially by the Goldman family. Commenting on O.J. Simpson’s guilt, Palmer Barnett said, “I think that he did do it, yeah.”

O.J. Simpson has been cremated; however, funeral planning is continuing to be done. According to Reuters,” ‘What I can tell you is that I went there and saw him right before he was placed in’ the crematorium, LaVergne told Reuters by phone. ‘I can tell you other people were there for Mr. Simpson,’ he added, declining to disclose who they were except to describe them as relatives and friends.”

OJ Simpson mug shot. Image via LAPD.