Official Publication of La Jolla High School Since 1924

Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

USC Cancels Valedictorian Speech

What was supposed to be a monumental occasion and honor of a lifetime for USC valedictorian Asna Tabessum was overshadowed by changes to USC’s commencement program. The university denied her a chance to give a speech at commencement, citing “safety concerns.”

In an online campus-wide letter, USC Provost Andrew Guzman said, “Over the past several days, discussion relating to the selection of our valedictorian has taken on an alarming tenor. The intensity of feelings, fueled by both social media and the ongoing conflict in the Middle East, has grown to include many voices outside of USC and has escalated to the point of creating substantial risks relating to security and disruption at commencement.” The decision followed complaints from pro-Israeli groups that cited her social media support for Palestinians. Tabessum, a first-generation South American Muslim, would have delivered her commencement speech on May 10th. She was selected from more than 200 students who met the academic qualifications. Tabessum said that she was “shocked” by the decision and “profoundly dissapointed that the university (USC) is succumbing to a campaign of hate meant to silence my (her) voice.”

Senior McCoy McInerney, who speaks strongly on USC’s decision, said, “Without the school declining her ability to speak, there wouldn’t be this much controversy. Becoming a valedictorian is hard work and the least USC can do is let her speak at her graduation.”

Recently, the university also called off the appearance of “Crazy Rich Asians” director Jon M. Chu and other commencement honorees as the controversy grows over its decision to cancel Tabessum’s speech.

Asna Tabessum was chosen as USC’s 2024 valedictorian and is barred from making a speech at commencement. Image via Asna Tabessum.