Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

Politics and Mass-Media

How the media is shaping politics

Social media is undoubtedly one of the most powerful forms of influence in present-day society. This influence has yet to fall short of expanding into politics, which is especially relevant as the 2024 election nears. While social media can be seen as a force for good, providing outreach for politicians and spreading false information continue to plague what could otherwise be a useful platform. 

To truly understand the gravity of such technology in politics, it is first essential to understand how politicians utilize the media in their campaigns. Political communication is a major driving factor in informing and persuading the general public to connect with a certain politician. Social media campaigning especially appeals to political newcomers. Due to its cost accessibility, platforms such as Twitter and Instagram offer a pathway for these newcomers to overcome advantages held by previous candidates. According to Professor Drake of Rice University, roughly 60% of Americans use social media to obtain political news and information, which gives each candidate an equal chance to voice their campaign. Not only does social media act as a balance on the scales of exposure regardless of time in office, but it also humanizes each candidate. By posting casual conversations or everyday activities, candidates build trust and human connection between themselves and their targeted audience. Perhaps one of the most unique voter events was in 2020, when Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Ilhan Omar live-streamed themselves playing a popular game on the live-streaming platform Twitch. Ocasio-Cortez’s event perfectly demonstrates social media’s overwhelming influence on a politician’s campaign, as about 5.2 million viewers tuned in to watch this stream. By using the media to her advantage, Ocasio-Cortez accomplished what many politicians strive for yet fail to do: the appearance to be relatable and friendly. Ocasio-Cortez, along with many, has used social media as a low-cost yet highly effective tool.

However, the power that the media holds is not to be easily overlooked. Ultimately, online platforms take no responsibility for the content their users upload, and as a result, the spread of misinformation is not only possible but extremely common. Take, for example, the results of the 2020 election, which caused flocks of people to storm onto social media, insisting the election was stolen from former President Trump. Online agitation soon turned very real as these protests soon turned into the infamous January 6th insurrection, shocking the nation. The persistence and actions of these so-called “activists” undermine confidence in the voting process and cause shadows of doubt and fear in voters. Because of the way the media works, one minor fault of truth can spiral and spread to millions in a matter of a day. This is extremely dangerous when the entire scheme of democracy falls into the hands of information spread and the public’s opinions. 

With technology growing and the voting population dangerously relying purely on media for news, it is more and more important to consider the impact of social media on politics.

AOC played Among Us on Twitch and met “more than 400,000 young potential voters.” Screencap via Youtube.