Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

The Olympics to Add Additional Sports in Upcoming Games

Having previously hosted the 1932 and 1984 Olympics, in 2028, Los Angeles will become the third three-time host city after Paris and London, and the first city in the Americas ever to do so. The committee behind the 2028 Olympics, set to be held from July 14th to July 28th, has received proposals for five new sports to be present in the games. These new sports, according to Olympics.com, “are baseball-softball, cricket, flag football, lacrosse, and squash.” Of these five sports, three of them were in previous Olympic games: cricket in 1900, lacrosse in 1904 and 1908, and baseball-softball in the 1992-2008 and the 2020 games. In response to this, freshman Alexa Grused said, “I think baseball is a great idea, and lacrosse, and cricket.”

Olympic Torch Tower of the Los Angeles Coliseum on the day of the opening ceremonies of the 1984 Summer Olympics. Image via US Airforce.

Likewise, the 2024 Paris Olympics, to be held July 26th-August 11th, 2024, is also supposed to have one new sport, break dancing. Rylan Mackey, a Senior, expressed, “I don’t think it’s necessarily a sport on paper, it’s more like an activity that you could make competitive.”

Regardless of several subjective definitions, and what constitutes an activity’s qualification as a sport, the talented players of these new sports will now have a chance to be even greater, and to prove that their sports deserve to be represented in the Olympics.