Textbook or Shield?

Natalia Miller, Staff Writer

Is school truly safe? According to the Gun Violence Archives, gun violence is the leading cause of death for children in the United States. In just 2021, 3,597 young lives were lost over the improper use of firearms. Does this statistic shape our childhood or change the way we view our safety? La Jolla High makes it our top priority to build a secure community. The Hi-Tide asked some of our students how safe they truly felt at school. 

Kian Jelvah, a freshman at LJHS, says, “I have never really thought about it before, and I don’t have any anxious thoughts about it or anything.” He then goes on to say, “If something ever were to happen, I would run out of the school.” Many students feel the same, as many would rather leave school premises than stay and trust safety measures put in place to protect us. Olivia Dill has faith in Mr. Bueno, saying, “I don’t think it’s an issue, La Jolla is very safe, and Bueno will protect us.” Haidan Uhrig, also a freshman at LJHS, goes deeper into the issue. “I definitely think that the United States should have more gun control. It is a very important issue, but at this school I feel safe, and I don’t think anything is going to happen.” 

Though some students attending American schools might feel out of harm’s way, others are more concerned. As some may be living in a state where there aren’t strict gun policies or have frequent shooting threats. The Giffords Law Center shows that states such as Alabama have very weak gun laws. In addition, Alabama has the filth highest gun death rate. Fortunately, California has the strongest gun safety laws in the nation. Sarah Robinson is a sophomore at LJHS and gives us her thoughts on the matter. “I was going to move countries because of this, as it is getting more drastic everyday. Yet, I don’t have a game plan for if this happens.” Robinson then adds, “I was actually thinking about this the other day and realized the only way you can survive is by playing dead.” This grim, realistic reaction to the question, how safe do you feel as a student, undoubtedly puts matters into perspective. The school is doing what is in power, like lockdown drills and providing safety measures. Gun control is one of the most controversial topics in America. Some believe it isn’t the cause of shootings, while others disagree. 

In the fullness of time, gun violence is a disheartening topic that children should not be concerned with to any degree. Many students here at La Jolla High feel safe in our community. However, there could be more improvements in schools all around America to aim for higher security. One way of improving school safety could be moving funds to invest in bulletproof doors and windows throughout schools in America. LJHS is a very safe campus, yet the fear of gun violence still prevails.

Image via Natalia Miller