Coed Wrestling?

Photo via Katherine Brunette

La Jolla High School’s wrestling team being coed sparks controversy between students. The thought of this specific sport being co-education instigates the question, is this right? Carly Pavlik, a senior at La Jolla High School, found her opinion on this subject, “It is very cool that girls are willing to try a mostly male dominated sport and it is safe as long as they are in the same weight class as the boys. Although, it could be much more dangerous if the boy is much stronger than the girl.” As long as the wrestlers are in the same weight class and confident that they are strong enough to win against their opponent without hurting them, there should be no injuries, and if they are able to do it, they should.

While interviewing Harrison Riley, a La Jolla High School junior, we found that he views coed wrestling as, “If a girl can do it, they should, and if they are strong enough, they should. It would be really cool to see coed wrestling take place.” It would be very intriguing to walk into a wrestling match and see girls wrestling boys. However, Paige Repp, a senior at La Jolla High School, believes otherwise, “males are known to be stronger, so I do not think it’s a good idea because girls could get seriously injured. Even if they are in the same weight class, boys naturally have a more muscular build and could seriously injure a girl.” It is very cool that girls are willing to try a mostly male dominated sport.

It is very cool that girls are willing to try a mostly male dominated sport.

— Carly Pavlik, senior