Online School Should Be an Option for Students

Anastasia Akopova, Staff Writer

Over the past year, high schoolers across the country have become accustomed to rolling out of bed, joining a zoom meeting, and calling it a day. With businesses and schools slowly opening up, La Jolla High has returned to in-person school. 

Online school should be an option for those who would feel safer staying at home. The risk of getting COVID-19 is not much less than it was a few months ago; so it’s important to provide accommodations for people who are at a higher risk than average students. Sophomore Joshua Henry said, “For students who are not at risk, or who don’t have a pre-existing health condition, in-person should be required.” When asked his opinion on hybrid learning Mr. Ferguson said, “Depends on the subject and it should be up to the teacher.” Hybrid learning definitely required a learning curve because many teachers had to pay attention to two sets of students. After speaking to Mrs. Friedrich, it is clear she believes that hybrid learning is not good for either students or staff: “Students online didn’t get enough attention, and kids in the classroom also didn’t get enough attention.”

Students that want to remain at La Jolla High but do not want to risk getting COVID-19 should have the ability to join online zoom classes. Having a zoom link running while the teacher is leading in-person classes could prove useful for everyone. In-person school is a drastic change from daily zoom calls and therefore, it is important to create equal opportunity for all students. 

“Students online didn’t get enough attention, and kids in the classroom also didn’t get enough attention.”

— Mrs. Friedrich