Girls Lacrosse Determined to Succeed

Girls Lacrosse Determined to Succeed

Catherine Huang, Staff Writer

As new season nears, many students are reflecting on both the La Jolla Girls Varsity and JV Lacrosse teams, and their excellent performance and achievements last year. They made it into the CIF Open Division Championship. Kitty Cullen, the lacrosse team head coach, stated in her recent email, “Although we fell short of winning, it was amazing to get that far!” According to Maxpreps, the LJHS Girls Varsity Lacrosse team is ranked 78th in the nation.

This will be the sixth season for Cullen coaching at La Jolla High. She has worked with the senior players since they were in seventh grade, so she feels very close with these members and with the entire team.

As a coach, Cullen has instilled a sense of value in her players while she develops their skills as lacrosse players. “I value my players to be kind, hardworking young women on and off the field. It is important to me that my players not only develop as lacrosse players, yet also learn skills they can apply to the real world,” said Cullen.

Recently, the girls on the lacrosse team started their pre-season workouts in the school weight room every Monday morning. They work out after school as well on Thursdays to get ready for the new season!

Junior Terra Evans, who plays attack on the team, has been playing lacrosse since she was in third grade and has a great passion for this sport. “I am super excited for the season to start! We want to win; we want to make it into the championship again,” said Evans. 

La Jolla lacrosse fans are all looking forward to see the girls playing together and are hopeful for the 2020 season.