LJHS Haunted House

Catherine Huang, Staff Writer

The LJHS Haunted House was hosted by the Drama Department from October 30-31 in the Parker Community Auditorium. This was the first time La Jolla High School has hosted a haunted house event for students and other guests to enjoy. The event offered both family-friendly and PG experiences with tickets sold for $5.

The theatre teacher, Mr. Allen, said, “I thought it would be a lot of fun. The kids need something to do this time, and I thought we can help to promote the drama department to the rest of the school and get some other kids to come in and get involved in drama too”. There were about 35 students who ran this big project, some from the drama department and others with no previous drama experience who wished to get involved. Sophomore Kendall Leonard said, “I was really impressed. It was actually really scary!”

Allen came up with the main idea of the haunted house, while students helped develop and build the scenes. Props were also made by students or recycled from previous uses. Allen said, “I had some stuff from my house. My son used to do a hunting garage, so I had some decorations to bring in. I think our total investment was only about $200, and we hope to make close to $500 or more.”

The profits earned from the haunted house will go back into funding the LJHS drama department to use in the future. It will also help pay for more materials or have guest artists come to LJHS and work with the students. Along with the profits earned from different activities and shows, the school’s Drama Department is constantly improving and providing students with a better environment to learn effectively!

The LJHS Haunted House made Halloween more lively and exciting this year. Many students are all looking forward to what surprises the Drama Department will bring next year’s Halloween!