LJHS Speech and Debate Team

Pearl Pries

Emma Joehnk, Staff Writer

The Speech and Debate Team is an academic team here at La Jolla High. Students prepare to participate in many mock debates and speech events throughout the year. The club meets often, where they get to prepare with their friends for their upcoming events. Sophomore Croix Black describes the team’s schedule, “We meet every Monday after school from 2:30 to 4:30 in Mr. Allen’s theater room. Every fourth Wednesday we have a mock debate at lunch.”

The team goes in depth to learn more about being successful in the world of debate. Sophomore Cole Black explains what a typical meeting entails, “We learn about all different types of debate styles like parliamentary and congress, and we also participate in individual speech events.” Students don’t just find the club to be beneficial for their success while debating, Lila Ryan, a sophomore on the team, also believes joining the team has long term benefits, saying, “Participating in the club increases my public speaking skills[/pullquote]. It is also a good addition to my college applications.”

Not only do students find the team to be a good way to succeed academically, but they also find it to be a great way to succeed in team bonding and building important friendships. Sophomore Esther Khamision says, “I recently participated in my first mock debate and it was a fun learning experience and it went great.”

(Photo via Claire Anderson)