Super Bowl Halftime Show

Christina Kwan, Staff Writer

On February 3 2019 the famous Super Bowl premieres with all eyes on the Los Angeles Rams versus the New England Patriots. But, for those who came for the music- this year Maroon 5 headlined the event. The band played some of their most known songs such as “Harder to Breathe”, “Girls Like You”, and ending with “Moves Like Jagger”. Joining them on the stage, guest appearances from rappers Travis Scott and Big Boi-who rolled on stage with a black convertible. The special effects of the show were not to ignore with flashing lasers, bright sparklers and complex pyrotechnics. While there was no huge controversy for this show, people had a lot to say about the band.

This year’s halftime show was filled with mixed views and a variety of opinions. Some criticized the show by mocking it or flat out calling it boring. Others enjoyed the artists and gave their praises. But, easily one of the most talked about part of the halftime was the Spongebob cameo honoring its deceased creator, Stephen Hillenburg . Fans of the show were excited when a clip of “Sweet Victory” began playing for about 4 seconds before being interrupted by the singing “Sicko Mode”. Majority of fans were not happy with this outcome and made memes joked about how they were tricked. According to the majority of the internet, people were not happy with this show.

As for the opinions of the students of La Jolla High School, they seem to be in agreement with them. Alexa Gibbs, a junior says “I did not like it at all, I thought it was really boring”. When asked what aspect of the show she says “I didn’t like when they started to play “Sweet Victory” but then topped when Travis Scott started to play”. Another junior, Camila Trejo says, “I think the artist didn’t go well together- a lot was going on and it wasn’t well organized”. Trejo also said that although she did like the opening of the show, the artists singing “weren’t very good”. Overall the main view on this year’s Super Bowl Halftime Show was negative and cynical.

(Photo via CBS News)