Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

Challengers: A Mastermind of a Film

Movies are a popular art form that is appreciated by many. They might seem like a bunch of videos put together to tell a story, but it is much more than that. A good film derives from the senses of the human body. Unfortunately, finding such an incredible type of film is hard but not impossible. On April 22, 2024, Challengers was released to theaters. The film, directed by Luca Guadagnino, was created to tell the story of a former pro-tennis player turned coach, Tashi, and two tennis players and former best friends, Patrick and Art, torn apart in the pursuit to impress her. It may sound simple, but how the characters make life decisions proves otherwise. Senior Vincent Vega says, “Good acting goes hand in hand with a good storyline. If you don’t have an interesting plot where characters grow, you can’t enjoy the other factors in the movie.” In Challengers, viewers see how the best friends are changed due to Tashi’s manipulation.

This film centers around great characters. Some may not be likable, but they’re human. They are deep and complex. They make reasonable mistakes and decisions and are not motivated purely by the plot. Senior Ella Roman says, “the more human a character is, the more I feel for them.” The characters featured in Challengers appeal to audiences because of their flaws, which make them not bad but human. The film features good dialogue, and the characters are portrayed by amazing actors, resulting in a mastermind of a film.

Official Challengers movie promotional cover. Image via WikiMedia Commons.