Official Publication of La Jolla High School Since 1924

Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

“Writing on the Rails”

Since late February, La Jolla High’s Advanced Theater Class has been immersed in a unique project, creating short tales inspired by their trolley experiences. On February 28th, the class embarked on a journey from Clairmont Drive Station to Old Town’s Transit Center, gathering characters and ideas for their stories. Each actor in the class crafted a 10-minute play, resulting in a collection of over 25 stories by talented writers and storytellers. The most captivating and diverse narratives were chosen to be presented on April 25th-26th at 6 pm, offering a thrilling blend of romances, comedies, and dramas. Senior Nathan Tukuafu expressed his enthusiasm and reflected on the significance of his final school year show for “Writing on the Rails,” emphasizing the creative platform it provides for sharing stories. He eagerly shared his anticipation, citing his aspiration to become a director and viewing this opportunity as a pivotal step toward realizing his dream. Some students tasked with crafting, acting, and writing the stories were first-time actors. Senior Fillipo Bonaro, mainly known for his tech and success as sound in Chicago, said about the upcoming show, “I am a bit nervous, but I feel more excited because this is a new opportunity, and I’m really looking forward to it.” The whole class is dedicated to making this show a killer hit. Not only the actors but also the techies in the class, including Taliah Wendoll, William Soylu, and Tea Corn, who helped create the set. All these students are working hard to put on a great show for the audience. Sophomore Caroline Gamez said, “The creativity of all the students writing these plays is really special, and I can’t wait to see all of our scripts come to life.”

Daphne Jones, Nathan Rifkin, Logan Gunn, Max Chen, and Nathan Tukuafu star in the two-act play. Image via @ljhsdc on Instagram