Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

MegaMID 2: A Tour-De-Farce

Megamind is an animated film released by Dreamworks in 2010. The movie follows the blue-skinned protagonist Megamind as he grapples with a newfound enemy and must assume the role of a superhero. The original film was met with positive reception, receiving praise for its animation, voice performances, and script, and it has gained a cult following in recent years. So came the announcement of a sequel, Megamind vs. The Doom Syndicate. Initial reactions were positive. However, when news came out that Will Ferrell would not be replaying the role of Megamind, and the film was slated to be released straight to the streaming platform Peacock, reactions quickly shifted. However, once the Megamind vs. The Doom Syndicate trailer was released, it was met with overwhelmingly negative backlash. The trailer was derided for the poor animation quality, unfunny humor, and terrible voice acting from Megamind by Keith Ferguson. Megamind vs. The Doom Syndicate currently sits at 0% on the review site Rotten Tomatoes (Dreamworks’ lowest-rated movie), based on six reviews, alongside a 7% audience score. One of the critic reviews, from Nell Minow of RogerEbert.com, “It is intermittently funny and briefly heartwarming, as though they ran the original through the washing machine a few times, and then faxed it.” The film serves as a pilot for the TV show Megamind Rules!, also released on Peacock.

Will Ferrell, unfortunately, is not part of Megamind vs. The Doom Syndicate cast. Image via Wikimedia Commons.