Official Publication of La Jolla High School Since 1924

Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

France Enshrines Abortion Rights in Constitution

French legislators passed an amendment on March 4, declaring abortion to be a “guaranteed freedom,” becoming the first country to explicitly outline the right in their constitution. The historic move aims to establish a safeguard in the face of global attacks on abortion access and reproductive health rights.  Prime Minister Gabrial Attal told parliamentarians assembled in Versailles, “We’re sending a message to all women: your body belongs to you, and no one can decide for you.”

Lawmakers overwhelmingly supported the measure with a 780-72 vote in the Palace of Versailles, clearing the three-fifths majority needed to amend the French constitution. The vote was the final step in the legislative process. The French Senate and National Assembly each overwhelmingly approved the amendment earlier this year.

This right [to abortion] has retreated in the United States. And so nothing authorised us to think that France was exempt from this risk.

— Laura Slimani, Fondation des Femmes rights group

Unlike the United States, where abortion is a highly divisive issue, it is highly supported in France. Many lawmakers who voted against the amendment did so because they felt the measure was unnecessary, given the broad support for reproductive rights. According to the New York Times, the change was motivated by the United States Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe v. Wade in 2022 and the rollback of abortion rights seen in recent years. President Emmanuel Macron initiated the measure within hours of the Dobbs v. Jackson ruling. Laura Slimani from the Fondation des Femmes rights group said, “This right [to abortion] has retreated in the United States. And so nothing authorised us to think that France was exempt from this risk.” The measure has been well received, with no major political parties in Parliament opposed. Junior Sarah Lehman said, “France’s decision to enshrine abortion rights in its constitution reflects a devotion to reproductive freedoms that the US lacks. After Dobbs, it seems like all bets are off.”