Official Publication of La Jolla High School Since 1924

Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

Track Off to a Running Start

The track season has started at La Jolla High School. Track and field is a fun, stress-relieving sport that anybody can try. So far, there have been two Track and Field meets, with more to come. Mckayla Matkov, a sprinter for the 100s and 200s, said La Jolla High did well on their first meet, and said that “[it] is fun to be able to step out of my comfort zone. It’s an eye-opening experience.”

Tryouts were said to be easy and not very stressful. For instance, Talia Snider, the first-place winner for La Jolla High freshman running the 100-meter, was not even present for the tryouts but made it on the team by showing up to practice after her basketball season was finished. Commenting on her overall experience on the team so far, she exclaimed, “My track experience has been fun, and I like meeting new people while working on my speed and agility.”

Track and Field as a sport originated in Ancient Greece in 776 B.C. The most common distance run used to be 600 feet long, compared to the 400 it is today. Track and Field is an astounding sport because it combines being independent and working together as a team. Track and Field is a popular sport, with around 50 million runners in the U.S. Track and field remains the number one high school and junior high participatory sport according to USA Track & Field (USATF), the national governing body.

LJHS Track team during the 2022-2023 Season. Image via LJ Steph.