Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

Trump Gagged on the Law

Former president Donald Trump was recently issued a gag order that prohibited him from making public statements that attacked government attorneys, court staff, or any foreseeable witnesses. However, the gag order still allowed him to condemn any of the charges against him, the Justice Department, or the Biden administration. Later, prosecutors requested that Judge Tanya Chutkan, the primary judge in Trump’s 2020 Election Interference case, reimpose Trump’s gag order after he requested against it. Donald Trump’s lawyers believe the order is unconstitutional, disrupts his presidential campaign, and violates his right to freedom of speech. The cause of the reinstatement would be on the grounds that some of Trump’s language and social media posts risked prejudicing potential jurors and witnesses. Judge Tanya Chutkan adds, “No other defendant would be allowed to do so and I’m not going to allow it in this case.”

The former president disagreed with the Biden Administration after the ruling on Sunday, saying on Truth Social, “The Corrupt Biden Administration just took away my First Amendment Right To Free Speech. NOT CONSTITUTIONAL! MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN.” Trump now faces two gag orders preventing him from discussing features of his legal cases in public in the 2020 election case. This includes allegations of fraud and conspiracy against the United States during the actual election. If Trump were to violate the gag order, he could be charged with contempt, imprisoned, or fined.

Former President Donald Trump speaking at the 2017 Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) in National Harbor, Maryland. Image via Gage Skidmore.