Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

Progress: Crossing the Lines or Pushing the Limits?

As the release date for the newest Disney Princess movie, Snow White, is pushed back a year, production has been surrounded by controversy. Hundreds of Disney cartoons across multiple generations have inspired children to follow their dreams, whether they were Bambi, Aristocats, or beloved princess movies under the slogan “dream big princess.” Disney has an extremely esteemed and renowned reputation, which inevitably comes with high expectations and opinions, such is the case of Snow White. The princess whose skin was as white as snow, who was kissed by her prince, and lived happily ever after, has come under fire from outraged fans after several alterations are expected to be made to the live-action version of the original 1937 cartoon.

Disney has recently been reimagining its company, attempting to promote equality, acceptance, and the empowerment of young girls in its various new movies, which have been greeted with praise and shade due to their adaptations of the plots of beloved classics. “We absolutely wrote a Snow White that is not gonna be saved by the prince… she’s dreaming about becoming the leader she knows she can be,” said Rachel Zegler, the actress who plays Snow White in the upcoming film. Some have applauded Disney’s attempt to modernize an outdated movie by giving power to Snow White, while others believe that Snow White is a classic and that simplicity and innocence give it charm. Rumors have emerged that these controversies are the reason for Disney’s decision to release the movie a year later than expected, to let the flames die down, while the official reason was due to overspending and production costs on the part of the crew. Whether or not you envision Snow White holding an apple or a battle axe, people across the country will hold their breath a little more each day as the release date of 21/3/25 looms ever closer.

Screenshot of Snow White from the 1958 Reissue trailer for the film Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Image via Wiki Commons.