Official Publication of La Jolla High School Since 1924

Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

Morocco in Crisis

Disaster emerges from North Africa as the biggest earthquake to rock Morocco in over a century devastates the unsuspecting population, displacing tens of thousands of families and children. Following the 6.8 magnitude earthquake that struck central Morocco on September 8th at 11:11 pm local time, the country finds itself in dire need of medical supplies and rescue personnel as authorities attempt to reach remote mountain villages.

Pullquote Photo

There are a lot of small villages up in the mountains and in more rural areas, and they’re all completely destroyed. In the hometown my grandpa is from, a lot of the buildings are destroyed, and right now, there are ten people dead in his village.

— Lilyah Baroudi, freshman

“There are a lot of small villages up in the mountains and in more rural areas, and they’re all completely destroyed,” said freshman Lilyah Baroudi, a student here at La Jolla High with family currently living in Morocco. She adds, “In the hometown my grandpa is from, a lot of the buildings are destroyed, and right now, there are ten people dead in his village.” Countless stories parallel this across the Atlas Mountains, the region most severely struck by the earthquake, as countries such as France, Spain, Turkey, and the United Kingdom contribute personnel, money, and supplies to support rescue efforts. 

Despite the death toll reaching more than 2,800 in addition to the 2,500 injured, most of the country is attempting to move on, as CNN further states, “most of the country is now running as usual, with transport including trains and other services continuing to operate”. But through death and destruction comes compassion and unity, as this disaster also binds the world together as a show of human empathy and affinity, which is all too absent in normal life.

Collapsed buildings in Douar Agadir Jamaa, Morocco. Image via Wikipedia.org