Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

Hi-Tide

Is High School Football Culture All That?

Within a high school, there are three types of football spectators: the people who go to watch the game, to hang out with friends, and the people who don’t go at all. Those who never go to the games have been shown to have a more negative view of football games in their entirety, as it does not interest them. Stella Campion, a senior at La Jolla High, expresses football as an unimportant activity because it’s just “a bunch of men running around and chasing a ball. There are other sports where people do that, and it’s not special.” 

Senior Ana Villela shows her school spirit at a Friday night game. Image via Kevin Chiu.

Nevertheless, at La Jolla High, football is the most viewed sport. Every Friday, the bleachers are occupied by family, friends, and peers, making it an exciting social gathering for several people. Although some attend the games for the thrill of competition and score, others simply go to socialize and enjoy the cheer of the loud crowds, confetti, cheerleading dances, pom-poms, and the food court. This proves that although football itself might not be all that interesting as a sport, the atmosphere created by our peers makes the games as enjoyable as they are portrayed. Junior Declan Walsh believes that “they could be playing pickleball and cricket, and people could still watch because it’s fun, but it is important because it brings people together.”

Undoubtedly, the weekly football games provide students with sports entertainment and a place to enjoy the company of others, overall being an interactive experience for all.