The End of AP Environmental Science

Image via Griffin Sanford

While the school year began with excitement for some, many students were disappointed when they were met with a missing class on their schedule.

AP Environmental Science has been a thrilling and influential class at La Jolla High for many years and was recently removed from the class list. People began to speculate, with ideas such as the teacher being fired or that the school wasn’t happy with the curriculum.

After some time, the administration announced that the class was canceled due to only eight students signing up. 

The class’s removal sparked confusion, considering it was popular in the years prior. Owen Wright, former 2023 Class President, and Environmental Science student, when asked why students didn’t sign up, stated, “Well it was test heavy. Some people complained about the teaching style. Some people didn’t get the best grades, so people might not have been as interested.”

Many students have complained about the class because of the teaching style and how assignments were graded. Celeste Moreau, an understanding senior and former Environmental Science student, said, “I thought it was an interesting class. Ms. Eaton was an entertaining teacher, but it was hard to know what she wanted on assignments.” Some students expected people to avoid it, but others wanted to take the class anyway. Kristine Rumbaugh, a senior, describes how she felt when she did not get the class saying, “I was distraught. It’s helpful in the business industry.”

The environment is one of the most pressing issues in the world right now, but with all of this conflict with the class, it may not be worth keeping.

I thought it was an interesting class. Ms. Eaton was an entertaining teacher, but it was hard to know what she wanted on assignments

— Celeste Moreau, senior