It’s Time to Acknowledge Teens Mental Health

Rachelle Roberson, Staff Writer

Image via Rachelle Roberson

Mental health problems among students are an ongoing issue that need to be recognized as they may have detrimental effects on adolescents’ futures. According to the CDC’s Youth Risk Behavior Survey & Trends Report, more than 1 in 3 high school students experienced persistent feelings of sadness or hopelessness in 2019. Additionally, 1 in 6 youth had made a suicide plan, a 40% increase since 2009.

Students’ academic performance and overall well-being can be negatively affected by school-related anxiety and depression. Mental health is a vital aspect of development for teenagers and affects their emotional, social, and psychological well-being.

While school can provide a structure for success in college and life, it can also create negative feelings such as stress and anxiety for students. According to research from the Better Sleep Council, 34% of American teenagers spend 20 hours or more a week on homework, which is more than time spent at social activities and sports. Students were asked what causes stress in their lives, and about 75% said grades/test scores, 74% said homework, and 45% said parental expectations. These statistics show that school is one of the main causes of stress for teenagers and is consuming their daily lives. It is vital for youth development that students have time in their schedules to practice their hobbies and build relationships. Teenagers need a creative outlet in order to express themselves and relieve negative emotions. 

The pressure for students to excel in order to get into college has been discussed with students at LJHS. When asked what the current most stressful aspect of school was, Senior Brendan Glenister said,  “It is my last year before college and I have to work hard to keep my grades up. On top of that, I am taking the hardest courses I’ve taken yet.” Expectations about college and future careers induce extra pressure on students and can become a source of extreme worry and stress.  

Furthermore, poor mental health can affect students’ lives outside of school and can result in negative school performance. A research interview conducted by the International Journal of Adolescence and Youth found that stress over education had a negative impact on school performance, sleep quality, mental health, and substance use outcomes. Sophomore Jessica Siry adds, “I barely have time to relax after school. All my homework adds up and leaves no space for things I like to do.” It is crucial that teenagers’ mental health is properly acknowledged in order to prevent grades from declining and their personal lives from suffering. 

However, school can also be a very positive environment for students. It can help them build healthy relationships, engage in fun social events, and prepare them for success in life. When asked what the best aspect of school was, Junior Isabella Policaro said, “There are lots of people so there is a lot of interaction. I like that there are various grades in my classes so I get to meet new people from different grade levels.” Building strong friendships at school is an important part of establishing positive emotions, including acceptance, self confidence, and overall happiness. At school, students also build trusting relationships with teachers and counselors. These relationships are important because they help provide teenagers emotional support and encouragement towards overcoming obstacles. Positive factors, as such, show that creating a welcoming and safe school environment is a pivotal part of improving students’ mental health. 

Finding the balance between a healthy lifestyle while maintaining good grades is difficult for some students to achieve. Stress and anxiety over assignments can be overwhelming and prevents teenagers from engaging in activities they are passionate about. The number of students suffering from anxiety and depression will continue to rise until their mental health is properly acknowledged and supported.