LJHS Women’s Water Polo CIF State Champions

Via Photos La Jolla Vikings Sports

Via Photos La Jolla Vikings Sports

On Saturday, February 26, the La Jolla High School Varsity girls water polo team won the division II CIF championship against El Segundo High School. La Jolla High took it home with a score of 16-7 with player Lulu Hirschfield scoring 6 goals during the game. The team had a 83% win rate, with 25 wins and 5 losses. The championship game was played at La Jolla High School’s home pool. When varsity player Clara Verina, was asked to give a rundown of the final game, she stated, “I always feel strong when I play at home. I believe the final score was 16-7!! All of us did fantastic and so did El Segundo. They were a great opponent.”  After the season ended, Coach Jennings explained that the team had a very close dynamic, even with the addition of some new talented freshmen on the team. When she was asked about her coaching strategy for the team, she responded, “I brought on Coach Atwell to lead the strategic aspect of the game; Coach Lacey to condition the girls and make them fast; Coach Alexander worked with the girls’ Mental Skills; and Coach Booth gave them strength training to make them strong.” She made it clear she wanted to provide the girls with an opportunity to reach their goals, leading the girls to be CIF champions. “This win will not be the most exciting thing for them. I believe this is just the beginning,” said Coach Jenning, coach of the LJHS girls water polo team.

This win will not be the most exciting thing for them. I believe this is just the beginning.

— Coach Jenning