Health Care for Senior in Home vs. in Facilities?

March 3, 2022

The Importance of Caring for Elders

Photo via Pexels.com

Photo via Pexels.com

The healthcare of elders is a very important topic in today’s society, especially because of COVID-19, a great concern of health and overall well-being. There are many methods of how to care for senior citizens, however, the two most impactful ones are in the comfort of their own homes versus in a senior care facility. Either way, as long as our elders are being cared for properly, both are great ways to look after relatives.

No matter what form of care is pursued by senior citizens, it is important to stay active whether it be with a caretaker or other elders in facilities. As humans age, they slowly become less socially, physically, and mentally active. Problems with overall health can be negatively altered if an elderly person is not staying active. In care facilities, there are plenty of activities for seniors to partake in such as creating art projects like sewing and knitting, yoga, and other physical activities that have positive effects. 

If a senior resident is being cared for at home and there are certain activities to take advantage of, this type of healthcare can be beneficial in some way. Some seniors may become less social over time or develop certain disorders such as diabetes. Therefore, being in their own home surrounded by their own memories may be the best option, especially when taking their mental and physical health into account. 

If one is taking care of an elderly person, such as a relative or friend, looking after them in their house, or in the caretaker’s house, can be beneficial for numerous reasons. One advantage is the elder receives primary care and the foremost supervision. If they become injured or are in need of some assistance, they are the most important priority. Another positive aspect focuses on the relationship between the elderly person and their caretaker. They create a bond, which is especially great when it includes a relative – a son, daughter, and/or grandchild. Growing old can be lonely and it is always excellent to have a strong connection with your loved ones, as they may not always be around to care for one another.

There are many great aspects of receiving care in a facility as it offers care and numerous activity opportunities for senior citizens. Senior care facilities provide safety and security in order to ensure there is no unnecessary danger that could threaten the lives and wellbeing of the elderly. Student Calvin Worst explains, “If the senior care facility is in good condition it is a great option”. Additionally, facilities provide multiple activities to encourage residents to stay busy and social, which is incredibly important during these times.  “In the past two years people have felt very isolated and it is important for them to have interactions as long as the proper precautions are being taken,” said senior Ellie Lee. Care facilities also offer independence and give senior citizens time to choose what they will do in their free time. 

Considering that senior citizens are being cared for properly, whether it is healthcare in their home or in a facility, there are positive aspects in both options.

About the Writer
Photo of McKinley Beck
McKinley Beck, Staff Writer

McKinley Beck is in her first year of Journalism at La Jolla High as a Senior. This year, she hopes to improve her writing skills along with discovering...

What Our Seniors See

Photo via Pexels.com

Photo via Pexels.com

Housing facilities and nursing homes are all over the world and are crucial to a large number of senior citizens. The Housing Act of 1937 established the federal public housing program. Public housing, which was originally meant to be a jobs program and a slum-clearing campaign, was the result of fully represented activism. Massive public support for the drive for government-sponsored housing was developed by social justice activists. 

While many people think of housing facilities as a good thing such as Annabelle Brown, a junior at La Jolla High School, who wanted to share her opinion on the topic, “I think housing facilities are good, they help seniors who aren’t able to do things they used to do.” There are also certain drawbacks. Many studies have been conducted to show that staff at senior home facilities abuse the residents. There have also been several studies demonstrating that seniors residing in housing institutions are living in poverty. Over 50,000 people were promised they would be “temporarily” moved, yet only half of them were able to return to their restored houses, and even fewer were able to afford the new mixed-income housing. The most common reason for senior citizens living in nursing homes is a condition that prevents them from doing daily activities. People who live in nursing facilities, predictably, have greater disabilities than those who live at home. Majority of nursing home patients require assistance with three or more daily life tasks such as dressing and bathing.  

More than three-quarters of nursing-home residents have difficulty making everyday decisions, and two-thirds suffer memory impediments or forget where they are. In nursing facilities, the length of residence varies substantially. About a quarter of those who are admitted to these facilities only stay for a short period (3 months or less). Many patients who stay in a nursing home for a short period are first hospitalized for rehabilitation or end of life care. 

There have been several studies shown to prove that white Americans are more likely to be admitted to a nursing home than other races. Which is upsetting because there are several seniors who need care and help that are people of color. Housing facilities include counseling, social work services, and leisure However, it is critical to understand the objectives of healthcare and what to expect throughout a term. Care facilities are not hospitals, and seniors may not receive the same amount of testing or assessments from doctors, registered nurses, or other staff members as you would in a hospital, but without these establishments,  there would be a lot of problems going around.

About the Contributor
Photo of Zainab Hassoun
Zainab Hassoun, Opinions Editor

Zainab Hassoun, a sophomore in high school, is in her second year of Journalism as the Opinions Editor. Hassoun is ready to assist journalists in developing...

Hi-Tide • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in