Senior Sports Season

Photo via McKinley Beck

Photo via McKinley Beck

McKinley Beck, Staff Writer

As an event that takes place here at La Jolla High, Senior Night is one celebration that student athletes look forward to. During this occasion, the graduating seniors are celebrated at their last guaranteed home game of their high school sport careers. 

On Friday, Oct. 15, La Jolla’s Varsity Football team played their Senior Night game against Madison. It was a tough game that ended in a close loss but the Vikings football team played hard all the way until the end. The quarterback, Kevin Steel, described his favorite play being, “When I threw it to Makai and he ran 80 yards down the line. It was a memorable night.” After long days and nights of football practices and games, the seniors on the team said their final goodbyes to all of their fans in the student section.

When I threw it to Makai and he ran 80 yards down the line. It was a memorable night.

— Kevin Steel, senior

In addition, the girls’ volleyball team also had an exciting Senior Night game against Patrick Henry. A ceremony was held for the seniors on the team as they were honored alongside their parents and received gifts from underclassmen on the team. Senior Kenan Thomas, a starting middle blocker, said that the most memorable part of the night was when the team met at the end of the game. “We did a ceremony after the game and the younger players read funny poems about us.” Senior Night is a tradition that has just started, and will continue throughout the year with La Jolla High’s winter and spring sports.