Upcoming Golf Star

Photo via Christie Quinn

Photo via Christie Quinn

Chloe Lynn, Staff Writer

Freshman Charlotte Cantonis begins her years on the La Jolla High School Varsity golf team as a star player. She began playing golf when she was seven years old and started to take it more seriously around age eleven. Charlotte’s father was a huge factor in involving her in golf and has helped her further her skills and learn technique. When asked if golf affects her academics, she said, “Golf helps me calm down and focus when I need to. It has also taught me that staying calm under pressure is a very useful tool to have under your belt.” When faced with the topic of having any tips for younger girls wanting to try out the sport, Charlotte said, “You really just can’t be too hard on yourself. You have to make sure you’re in the right headspace because it can be super challenging to focus when you’re not clear minded.” Aaron Quesnell, Charlotte’s coach said, “The La Jolla High School Varsity golf team is doing great this year and has exceedingly improved from last year.” The group is part of the top 20 teams in the county this year and will continue to practice and gain even more skill. As for Charlotte, at only 15 years old has shown tremendous talent surrounding the sport and has set a goal to further her golf career at a highly ranked D1 college once she graduates high school.