Mother and Child Fall to their Deaths in San Diego

Zainab Hassoun, Staff Writer

A lady and her 2-year-old boy died on a late Saturday evening after falling from Petco Park’s third floor. Authorities say it is too early to tell if the fall was accidental or purposeful, but they know for certain that the victims’ deaths looked strange. Visitors who had come to Petco Park to watch the game at the end of the baseball season were shocked by the incident. Social media posts highlighted the anguish and horror of individuals who witnessed the incident. 

The third level of Petco Park is equivalent to six stories. People walking past who had witnessed the fall were too traumatized to tell reporters what had happened. After some investigation police figured out that the father was indeed there at the park. The identity of the family was kept hidden until recently, the mother being Raquel Wilkins and the son being Denzel Browning-Wilkins. Both victims were residents in San Diego. Freshman MaryKailen Coray, wanted to share her thoughts on this situation, “I think what happened is very tragic. I feel so sorry for the people who witnessed the event and have to live with the image in their minds, I also really want to believe the mother and her son died in an accident rather than the possible truth.” While some people may hope and believe that their deaths weren’t intended, others disagree. Freshman Tati Hedayati, another student at La Jolla High school, believes that it was not just a fall and says, “It could possibly have been a suicide, or maybe the mother was driven to insanity resulting in her action.” There are many theories and possibilities going around. Many people pray for the victims’ families and the victims who witnessed the fall.