Thoughts on Sports Returning This Spring

Pullquote Photo

To be honest it feels good to be back doing sports and I think we are really lucky to be able to play sports right now considering we are still in a pandemic.”

— Freshman Ciaran Synder

Pullquote Photo

I’m excited that sports are returning this spring, however, I’m not a huge fan of close contact sports such as wrestling during COVID-19 because of the physical contact that poses a threat of the virus spreading.”

— Freshman Hayden Worst

Pullquote Photo

Sports are a central part of students’ lives. They provide a sense of community and belonging, and can be the most important thing to a student. For some, ability to participate in a school sport can be the reason to keep one’s grades up. Starting up so many sports will play a prominent role in the lives of many students as LJHS slowly transitions to in-person learning.”

— Freshman Elena Tyvoll

Pullquote Photo

I think that it’s good that sports are returning as long as the safety precautions are being followed. I am excited for all sports to return this spring.”

— Sophomore Samantha Ponticello

Pullquote Photo

It’s good that sports are back, it just sucks because seasons are shortened and it’s hard to get field time, but overall it’s good for the La Jolla comradery to have sports.”

— Sophomore Austin Bale

Pullquote Photo

I like that sports are returning and I am very excited to hear this news. I think most of the sports are safe, such as sports that don’t require that much contact. Outside sports are the best during COVID-19 in my opinion. As long as the guidelines will be followed, I feel that sports are safe during the pandemic.”

— Sophomore Ryan Cavanaugh

Pullquote Photo

I think it’s nice that sports are returning because I can play lacrosse again. I think that it’s safe because all of the safety procalls are being followed.”

— Junior Mateo Estrada Vega

Pullquote Photo

I think that it’s good that sports are returning. I believe that the risk of concussions is higher than being infected with COVID-19. It’s the players choice and responsibility if they want to play.”

— Junior Natalie Dimeo

Pullquote Photo

I think it’s too much at once, I think it would be better if sports went back gradually over time because it would be less chaotic.”

— Junior Kiarra Smylie

Pullquote Photo

I think it is cool that everyone gets to come back and be in their same routine of sports and actually get to interact with other people again.”

— Senior Paige Dierlam

Pullquote Photo

I’m a little bit concerned over team sports since the vaccines haven’t been available to everyone for that long.”

— Senior Benjamin Winograd

Pullquote Photo

I play tennis so I think that it’s fun that sports are back. I have noticed that the field gets really busy, but it’s still good that sports are back because it helps our school spirit.”

— Senior Blythe Broido