New Shows and Movies Coming to Netflix in May

Ella Reinbolt, Staff Writer

With the month of May coming soon, a few new shows and movies will be added to Netflix. According to Kasey Moore on Twitter, Netflix originals like The Sons of Sam: Descent into Darkness, The Woman in the Window, and Army of the Dead, will be added to the platform. There are multiple series that will also be getting more seasons, like Special, Selena: The Series, The Upshaws, The Kominsky Method, and more. These Netflix originals will be added along with a few TV shows and movies that have already aired on TV or in theaters. 

The Sons of Sam: A Descent into Darkness will be a four-episode series about the hunt for the “Son of Sam,” a notorious serial killer in the 70’s. Directed by Joshua Zeman, the movie will follow the story of reporter Maury Terry who was determined to learn about a murderer who was suspected to have the backing of a Satanic cult. The movie The Woman in the Window is a feature film that was originally planned for theaters in May 2020, however its release was postponed due to COVID-19 restrictions. This psychological thriller focuses on an agoraphobic young woman living in New York City who discovers something she shouldn’t have about the neighboring family. Freshman Harrison Riley says, “I love psychological horror and I’m really excited to check out The Woman in the Window. Hopefully it’ll be really fun to watch.” The series Special will also be airing another season. It is a disability-focused LGBTQ+ comedy that will be getting eight more episodes added to the series thanks to a strong season two. 

Many movies and shows will be removed from Netflix in May as well. Movies like Blackfish (2013), Den of Thieves (2018), 17 Again (2009), The Green Hornet (2011), and many more will be leaving the platform this May, according to Efe Eren Genc. Freshman Enzley Sillman said, “I remember watching 17 Again and enjoying it, so it’s sad that it’s leaving. Hopefully some of the new movies will be good though.” Many movies are being removed from the platform in May, and even though not as many TV series are being taken down, there are still a few. Atomic Puppet, an animated series for Disney; Japanese Style Originator, a TV contest about Japanese culture; and Kingdom, a Korean horror series adapted from a comic will all be removed from the streaming platform sometime this May according to Efe Eren Genc.