Cliffs at Torrey Pines Collapse

Photo via U.S.News

Photo via U.S.News

Ella Reinbolt, Staff Writer

On New Year’s Eve, cliffs in Torrey Pines collapsed, resulting in the temporary closure of the state beach. Fortunately, no one was hurt, but this does serve as a reminder of how dangerous and deadly the cliffs in Torrey Pines can be. “It’s really lucky that nobody was hurt. The event could have ended up being tragic, and I’m glad it didn’t end up that way,” says freshman Harrison Riley. It is not uncommon for the cliffs at Torrey Pines to fall apart as it usually happens due to erosion. However, there was not enough rain this previous year for a lot of erosion to occur, meaning the recent collapse was sudden and unexpected. 

The collapse has allowed many people to be reminded of the precautions that should be taken when visiting Torrey Pines State Beach. One of these precautions, posted on the official park website, reads, “To increase safety, time your beach walk a minimum of 2-3 hours before or after high tide when there is more sand available between the cliffs and the waves.” Another precaution to be taken is to walk closer to the water and farther away from the cliffs, as in the event of a collapse it is easier to run away and avoid being hit by any debris. Freshman Sophia Parker said, “These precautions are definitely important when it comes to keeping people safe and should be followed by anyone who is planning to walk or hike at Torrey Pines.” There are more safety precautions listed on the official Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve website, which are important when it comes to the safety of people visiting the area.