Los Angeles Stay-at-Home Order

Carly Pavlik, Staff Writer

On Monday, November 30, the city of Los Angeles went into a stricter stay-at-home order. With the continuing number of rising cases, Governor Gavin Newsom decided to enforce this measure to hopefully slow the spread of the virus and the number of hospitalizations in the county. This new order involves closing places such as playgrounds and casinos, while also reducing the number of people allowed inside all businesses by at least 20 percent. Additionally, this prohibits the gathering of outside household members unless at religious services or protests. Similar to San Diego, LA also has a curfew of 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. 

This stay-at-home order is going to have a huge effect on a lot of businesses around the county. Fitness centers, personal services, and restaurants are going to be hit hard by these new precautions. Sophomore Alessia Demoreno, whose parents own small businesses in Los Angeles, said, “This new ban is going to cut down my parent’s sales exponentially due to only allowing takeout and delivery.” On a positive note, she mentioned that her family’s grocery store will not be impacted as much as it is an essential business that can remain fully open. 

With all of this happening only two hours away from San Diego, it is leaving people worried about what may happen to San Diego next. Junior Nathan Kirn said, “I understand the use of the new order in LA, but I hope it doesn’t get put into effect here as well because we were just starting to get back to the way it used to be before COVID.” Kirn also talked about how Los Angeles is so close to our city, and our number of cases is also increasing. He believes that the governor will make us gain these restrictions as well.