Signing Day

Photo via SDPrepInsider

Sam Haswell, Staff Writer

On November 11, six student-athletes from La Jolla High School went to Petco Park’s Lexus Premier Lot for National Signing Day. At this event, students signed National Letters of Intent (NLI), which officially committed them to the university where they will be playing their sport. 

One of these students was senior Tynan Walsh, who committed to the University of Pennsylvania to play Division 1 Men’s Lacrosse. “I was very happy and honored to participate in this event, especially given the circumstances,” Walsh said. Even during the time of coronavirus, it was nice to see that the event was still put together. This was the fifth time that National Signing Day has taken place at Petco Park. 

Along with this, he also said, “It was a cool set up. We were in a parking lot downtown with a big stage. We took a seated photo while signing our NLI’s and stood on the stage when our names were announced.” 

Another student who attended the event was senior Rhys Bugelli, who is committed to University of California, San Diego for Division 1 Men’s Water Polo. “It was fun, I got to see people from my school who I didn’t know were signing and we got to take some pics together,” Rhys said. Other La Jolla Schools that attended were The Bishops School and La Jolla Country Day. 

The four other students who attended National Signing Day at Petco Park were senior Levi Lentin to play Division 1 Men’s Water Polo at University of California, Santa Barbara, senior Alexandria Young is committed to University of California, Berkeley for Division 1 Women’s Beach Volleyball, senior Stella Wineman committed to play Division 1 Women’s Lacrosse at Ohio State, and senior Ari Conboy committed to Salisbury University for Division 3 Women’s Lacrosse.