College Football Playoffs Around the Corner

Aiden Trudeau, Staff Writer

With the AP Top 25 College Football rankings changing every week, every game is crucial for the teams competing. Saturday, December 7th in the Conference Championships, viewers saw some tough matchups leading up to the National Championship in January. The Southeastern Conference (SEC), the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC), and the Big 12 continue to dominate as the leading conferences every year because of the talented players and successful coaches on each team. The question is, who is deserving of being in the top 4? LSU (#1), Ohio State (#2), Clemson (#3), and Oklahoma (#4) all won their conference championship games this weekend.

After speaking with some college football fans on campus at La Jolla, they gave us their input on how they felt after watching the games this weekend. All-CIF Junior Linebacker, Max Smith said, “Being a football player, I noticed that the teams who are the most successful all have good defenses to anchor their team.” With arguably the best defense in college football, LSU held their number four ranked opponent, Georgia, to only ten points on the night. The Tigers are by far the most versatile team based off how they execute on Saturday nights. Their quarterback, Joe Burrow, is currently the front runner in the Heisman Trophy race and will continue to carry his team to the championship. 

Ohio State fan, Junior Levi Lentin shared his thoughts on his favorite team, “I think based off [The Buckeyes’] performance in their past game against Wisconsin, Clemson’s defense is going to focus on the run game more and forget about [the other] wide receiver threats we have. Justin Fields (Ohio State’s quarterback) will throw for over five hundred yards if we play our best game.” Based off what college football fans witnessed on Saturday, they all cannot wait to see what the entertaining matchups have in store.