Construction Spoils the Learning Environment

Easton Rickards, Staff Writer

Construction must stop during school hours due to concentration and air quality issues. 

When students are in class, all they can hear is the sound of the construction tools. This recurring problem completely spoils the learning environment, affecting students’ grades and ability to learn. According to A.A.P. Health Initiatives, children are more vulnerable to the adverse effects of air pollution than adults and are disproportionately exposed to sources of air pollution. Air pollution is associated with respiratory problems, asthma, premature births, infant mortality, and deficient lung growth. If the construction is not stopped, these health problems will affect LJHS students. Freshman Angel Villa said, “Construction should stop because they make a lot of noise and it distracts my concentration from learning.”

The opposing side states that the construction is an inconvenience and they want to speed up the process. Concentration is always the key to success because it allows students to focus and learn. Freshman Gigi Smith said, “Construction shouldn’t stop because I want them to finish earlier because I want new stuff in school.”

Yet, teachers cannot teach when all they hear are drills running into the ground, which also affects students’ learning. When teachers are lecturing, students cannot pay attention because of the excessive noise from the construction. According to Huffington Post, focus is important because it is the gateway to all thinking: perception, memory, learning, reasoning, problem-solving, and decision making. Without good focus, all aspects of one’s ability to think will suffer. Given the health and focus concerns, it is clear that construction during school is an important issue that must be handled in a timely manner.