Student Parking

Student Parking

Kristofer Backlund, Staff Writer

Parking at La Jolla High School is a situation that is heavily talked about among the students. La Jolla High School is one of the only schools in San Diego Unified School District without a Student Designated Parking lot or structure. Students who drive at school have to find street parking in the surrounding La Jolla community. Some students believe there should be a change in the parking laws around the school. Junior Willy Barton said, “I believe that street handicap parking on Westbourne should be open for all abled beings…” and fellow junior Amaya McMillin says, “It is super annoying to find parking. They should make it okay for students to park in people’s driveways during school hours.” 

The parking situation is not good around the school, so students are coming up with outrageous plans to help the situation. Students have to arrive earlier to get spots within a  reasonable walking distance from school. A poll of 70 students was conducted on Friday, September 27th, on what time they arrive to get reasonable parking spots. The results found that 33 students arrive before 8 o’clock and 20 students arrive before 8:10 am. The remaining 17 students arrived after 8:10 am to find parking. Junior Lila Ryan says, “The school or the district should build a parking structure for the students.” There are currently no plans by San Diego Unified School District to add any student parking lots or structures to La Jolla High School, even as the whole site modernization plan takes effect.