ACT vs SAT

ACT vs SAT

Alex Denofia, Staff Writer

Many rising students in high school are faced with the daunting task of applying to college. Most ask the question: should I take the ACT or the SAT? These testing methods are used during the application process to display college readiness. 

According to US News, both tests are very similar in structure and timing. The ACT includes four sections: English, Reading, Math, and Science, as well as an optional writing section. The ACT takes about three and a half hours with the highest possible score of 36, while the SAT takes about 3 hours with the highest possible score of 1600. The SAT includes two sections: Evidence-based reading/writing and math, as well as an optional writing section.

When deciding which test to take, evaluate your skills and which categories you perform well in. From there, you can decide which test you might score higher on. An efficient way to test your abilities is by taking a PACT and PSAT and comparing the scores. The SAT and ACT are very important for students to take in order to apply to college. 

In order to sign up, one must visit the official College Board website and choose a date. Then, fill out a survey and register online. Many students take the test at different times. Junior Lida Mesri said, “I just took my SAT [in September 2019], and I [had] been preparing for it all summer.” Many students like Lida, take their SAT during their Junior or Senior year in high school. The next date to take the SAT is November 2nd, and the next date to take the ACT is October 26th. Students should register soon because the deadlines are approaching.

While some students practice more than others, it is usually suggested to practice as much as possible to achieve the highest score. Teacher Mr. Atwell said, “Students should practice, practice, practice.” Some students choose to see tutoring companies in San Diego such as C2 Education or Princeton review. Others study at home, using websites like Khan Academy.