Donald Trump Impeachment Scandal

Donald Trump Impeachment Scandal

Zhiyi Lin, Staff Writer

Donald J. Trump, President of the United States and businessman, is currently at the center of a series of impeachment inquiries that stem from his recent scandal regarding the President of Ukraine. 

Due to information from an anonymous whistleblower, the complaint alleges that President Trump has been using his presidential powers to pressure foreign leaders to interfere with the 2020 presidential election.

Trump allegedly planned to withhold funding in military aid for Ukraine, using it as leverage to force the Ukrainian President, Volodymyr Zelensky, into investigating Joe Biden’s son, Hunter Biden, and the legitimacy of his actions regarding his involvement in a Ukranian natural gas producing company. 

The impeachment inquiries began on September 24, 2019, by the Democratic Party voicing concerns that Trump may be abusing his powers. As the inquiry progressed, various departments were looking into the possible subjects of Trump’s crimes. Particularly, whether Trump and his office were withholding particularly damaging conversations between Trump and world leaders, and whether the complaints of the whistleblower have been wrongfully kept secret.

Many La Jolla High students have mixed feelings regarding the incident. 

“Yeah, he should get impeached especially after his policies about immigration and the lives that he affected, he went about it the wrong way,” said Junior Jose Chavez. 

Others, however, find that the very inquiries themselves hold no merit. “It’s not gonna happen,” said Junior Noah Civitarese, “The impeachment inquiries were made in haste. Nancy Pelosi was pressured by other democratic representatives to make the inquiries into impeachment.” 

The transcript of Trump’s call to Zelensky was later released to the public under pressure from opposing parties; however, the transcript was not word for word.

Trump himself has reacted strongly to the allegations, claiming during the swearing-in ceremony for Labor Secretary Eugene Scalia that the statements he made to Zelensky were “perfect,” and that the whistleblower’s attestment of him having committed impeachable offenses is “incorrect.” Trump also accused Adam Schiff, Democratic Head of the House Intelligence Committee, of creating false statements about him, as well as assisting in the creation of the whistleblower complaint, and is calling for his resignation.