Nicki Minaj Retires

Alex Dinofia, Staff Writer

Nicki Minaj is a singer, songwriter, rapper, and actress that has had an important impact on today’s society. She was born on December 8, 1982 in St. James, Trinidad and Tobago as Onika Tanya Maraj. She is 36-year-old and goes by her stage name, Nicki Minaj. She currently resides in New York, where she has reached the top of the charts with her talent. Most know her for her wild persona, colorful appearance, quick-spoken rapping, and vulgar language. She will soon be married to her fiancé , Kenneth Petty. Recently, there have been rumors of Nicki’s retirement, causing confusion in the music industry.
Throughout her life, Minaj has had many significant accomplishments. She started her career as a backup singer for aspiring rappers in New York City. According to The Famous People, she originally posted her music to her Myspace page, and was eventually discovered by rapper, Lil Wayne. She received her first award at the Underground Music Awards in 2008 and continued on to be the first solo woman rapper to perform at the Grammy’s and win Best Music Video for her song “Starships”. The highpoint of her career occurred when she won Best Female Hip-Hop artist four years in a row.
Nicki’s large fanbase was stunned when Nicki announced that she will be retiring. According the The Digital Wise, Nicki tweeted, “I’ve decided to retire & have my family. I know you guys are happy now. To my fans, keep reppin me, do it til da death of me, in the box- cuz ain’t nobody checkin me.” Her main motive for retiring is so she can start a family with her fiance, Kenneth Petty.
Nicki’s thousands of fans are devastated to hear that she will be leaving the music industry. Junior Abby Wintringer said, “I like listening to Nicki Minaj because she has very upbeat music and always puts me in a good mood.” Fans like Wintringer are sad to see Nicki leave, and many were shocked by the news of her retirement. Freshman Zach Gomez said, “I didn’t expect her to retire because she doesn’t seem that old. She seems like she is a similar age to Cardi B.” Nicki Minaj’s retirement will leave an impact on not only her fan base, but the rest of the music industry.