Celebrity Donations to Restore Notre-Dame

Taryn Snyder, Staff Writer

Since the terrible fire that burnt the Paris cathedral, Notre-Dame, huge funds have been donated towards the restoration efforts. According to The Washington Post, almost 1 billion dollars has already been donated. This is mainly contributed to by France’s richest families including the Pinault’s, Arnault’s, and Bennecourt Meyers’. These families and others contributing to the efforts are behind well known brands such as L’Oreal, Gucci, and Alexander McQueen. Other groups have decided to launch fundraisers in order to get wider support for the funds.

However, these displays have come with some backlash from the public. Some people believe that there are much more important causes to be donating to rather than the cathedral. Student, Sophie Mesri explained this situation, “I don’t know what to think about it. I feel like they wouldn’t have donated another cause because those have been on going issues around the world. However, I don’t think people should be mad at them for choosing to help restore Notre-Dame.” Despite this controversy over the way these celebrities have chosen to spend their money, many people fully support the effort. Sophomore, Sarah Hecht said, “ I think it’s really important because it’s a historical monument.” To many Notre-Dame is greatly important either as a monument, a symbol of religion, symbolism of the art created by humans, or an architectural masterpiece.

Photo Via NowThis News