Should the US Be Involved in the War in Ukraine?

Per recent events, Ukraine is currently being invaded by Russia. The US is active in delivering numerous sanctions towards Russia to weaken their economy and shut down banks; all in efforts to halt the invasion and to wear out the government. The US has been trying to support Ukraine in a lot of ways, such as delivering supplies to Ukraine to help their defenses and working with Ukrainian leaders to assist the people as much as possible. Students here at La Jolla High should be informed about what is happening back in Europe and should know how the US is responding to the war. When junior Stephanie Lomakin was asked to explain her stance on the Russia-Ukraine War as an American high schooler she said, “I feel so bad for the people of Ukraine, I saw a lot of videos on the news of Kyiv being bombarded by airstrikes and bombs flown throughout the city. I feel like we should try and help the Ukrainian people as much as possible. The people are suffering to defend their country and need all the help they can get.”

I feel like we should try and help the Ukrainian people as much as possible. The people are suffering to defend their country and need all the help they can get.

— Stephanie Lomakin, junior

Another opinion from a high school student in the US about the Russia-Ukraine War was from junior Bella Cohen. When asked the same question she stated, “The US doesn’t need to be involved with Ukraine through the military but the US should keep trying to supply Ukraine with resources to aid the people such as charities or fundraisers. There are many I’ve seen and I think they’re a good idea.”

As heard from two LJ juniors, the US needs to continue aiding Ukraine through the efforts of charities, donations, fundraisers, and other supplies/ resources. Students want the US to maintain a passive position towards Russia to not stir up nuclear warfare with another global power.