The True Threat of the Coronavirus

Catherine Huang, Staff Writer

The first Coronavirus outbreak appeared in Wuhan, China, December 2019. According to The World Health Organization, Coronavirus can be found in both animals and humans and is spread through close contact with an infected person coughing or sneezing. The victims will have symptoms such as sore throat, cough, fever, and shortness of breath. 

Currently, Coronavirus’ death rate is still rising as well as the infection rate. The virus has infected more than 20,000 people and killed at least 400 people globally from December to February 4th. Governments in multiple countries have responded to the outbreak, taking emergency precautions to minimize the spread of the virus. The question is, has the media over-exaggerated the seriousness of Coronavirus?

“I don’t think the Coronavirus has been blown out of proportion because the flu is still dangerous and it was really terrifying when it first came around, so this is why we have the flu vaccine,” Sophomore Tabitha Hibbs said.

The Coronavirus is not blown out of proportion. According to The New York Times, although the fatality rate of Coronavirus is less than three percent, “the rate of infection of the virus has accelerated within China, far surpassing the rate of new SARS cases in 2003.” In addition, the virus can be spread from person to person up to six feet away in the air.

Although some might think the media and internet have over-emphasized the severity of Coronavirus, it is always better to take precautions than to dismiss. Luckily, the majority of Americans think the U.S. government is doing well enough to prevent Coronavirus from having a substantial impact.

Nevertheless, everyone should do their part to protect themselves and prevent the spread of viruses by regularly washing their hands. “Make sure in both circumstances (Coronavirus and influenza) to keep your hands clean; that’s how you avoid viral infection,” Chemistry Teacher Mrs. Bertier said. From then on, it is possible to achieve a healthier world.